According to a legend,
a small resort town of Mola Kaliva, which is located in the southern part of
the west coast of peninsula Kassandra and 6 kilometres from village
Kassandrinu, acquired its title from the name of a monastery watchman called
Molas who lived here in a tiny hut (Kaliva). According to the habit of local
residents, a phrase had developed as “to the hut of Molas” (stu Mola Kaliva
tin), which was then secured as a modern place name – Mola Kaliva.
Here we have paradise
with a dry climate located along the coastline and full of peace, tranquillity
and peace. There is a delightful infinite-looking long beach, which combines
crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea with unforgettable beauty of the natural
The resort is ideal for
lovers of pristine nature and relaxing holidays. It has all necessary
infrastructures to meet modern requirements for proper rest by the sea. There
are hotels, apartments, taverns, clubs, bars, fast food shops and a
supermarket, and other facilities as well as many country houses and villas. It
does not come as a surprise because Mola Kaliva, as well as Loutra, is not just
a seaside resort, but also a place for villas for the residents of the
picturesque area of Poligiro, the capital of Chalkidiki (from which the village
is distanced at 70.5 kilometres) as well as for the residents of Thessaloniki
(located in 104 kilometres from the resort) and for many famous Greek people.
Calm and organised
sandy beach with little coloured stones located near a pine forest and
neighbouring resort of Nea Skioni is an exceptional place for those who enjoy
water sports, including windsurfing.
Apart from that, there
is a place between Mola Kaliva and neighbouring resort Posidi which had an old
Greek town in ancient times and which was one of the most famous ancient
sanctuaries of Poseidon discovered in Greece.
It is believed that the
beautiful valley village Kassandrinu was already inhabited in the times of
antiquity and Byzantine Empire, as it is evidenced by the remains of the surviving
buildings and the Temple of the Holy Trinity (Agia Triada), the former old
catacombs retaining beautiful murals.
The village was
completely destroyed by the Turks in 1821. Restoration work began in 1826, but
a century later (in 1918) a first community was organized and which originally
consisted of Polichrono and Kriopigi (Pazarakya).
In 1950, the Church of
the Assumption of the Virgin was built from local stone. It celebrates its name
each 15 August (according to Gregorian calendar).
south-west from the village, in a stunningly beautiful location and among
ancient trees, stands a wonderful little church of St. George. Every year, on
23 April, there is an organised traditional religious festival dedicated to
Kassandrinu has excellent taverns where you can enjoy delicious appetizers
(mezedes). There are also a bakery, supermarket and coffee bar.
The main products are
locally produced olive oil and honey of the highest quality.
View More »